Managing for Development Results: A Focus on Africa
AfCoP Casebook – June 2010
The African Community of Practice on Managing for Development Results
The casebook is now available for download here!
"Strong and effective institutions are fundamental to achieving sustainable development outcomes in Africa. In response to this, members of the African Community of Practice (AfCoP) on Managing for Development Results (MfDR) are striving to make their organizations more performance-oriented. They sought to highlight this new trend towards results-oriented institutions in this new Casebook. The case studies presented here are a snapshot of the transformative work on MfDR that is taking place in Africa today. This publication demonstrates ways to develop effective strategies at the country level.
We hope that this publication will be useful in the daily work of the many results practitioners in Africa who strive to produce measurable outcomes in eradicating poverty. Our optimism has never been higher as we see increasing willingness from governments to put their countries on the MfDR track. Nonetheless, numerous challenges remain numerous and the capacity to manage for development results needs to be strengthened. The AfCoP and its national chapters will surely keep playing a major role in delivering better results for Africa."
Abdou Karim Lo
Senegal, Co-Chair of the AfCoP Core Management Team
Devendra Parsad Ruhee
Mauritius, Co-Chair of the AfCoP Core Management Team
1. The CAP-Scan Process in Niger: Self-Assessment of Public Administration Capacities
2. Managing for Global Environmental Results at UNEP’s Division of Global Environment Facility
3. Combining Monitoring and Evaluation, Knowledge Management, and
Communication in Madagascar
José C. Ravelonandro, Benoit Thierry
4. Managing for development results within the South African Social Security Agency
5. The Performance Tracking Table in Sierra Leone’s Public Sector Management
6. From Pilot Experimentation to Large-Scale Implementation:
Budget Reform in Morocco
7. An Integrated Results Based Management Program in Zimbabwe
8. Ethiopia and the National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS)
Yacob Mudesir, Tamirat Yacob
9. Preparing for Decentralization - A Bottom-Up Approach: The Contribution of the PNGT2 to Social Capital and Local Governance in Burkina Faso
Claude Begnadehi, Mouhamed Drabo, Hamidou Tiendrébéogo